Meal Planning

Have you ever heard this saying?
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. 

When it comes to eating a whole foods plant-based vegan diet, this is more true than ever. “I’ll just go get take out” can’t become a daily staple. In college, students subsist on caffeine, ramen noodles, and the free food that is supposed to attract you to events comes in the form of pizza, ice cream, and candy. 

The good news is that with some simple planning you can ameliorate this issue. Knowing your meals in advance helps you avoid situations where you don’t have anything healthy to eat. 

It doesn’t matter what system of organization you use, any will do. I have used notepads, paper planners, electronic planners, and notes next to my math homework. Pick what works for you. 

Currently, I use an Excel spreadsheet. I like the simplicity. My regular planner is on the next sheet, so I plan my weekly schedule and my meals together. This way I know what days I have more time to cook and when I need to make my meals portable. From my meal plans, I make a shopping list in a note on my phone so I’ll have it with me while I shop. 



Once you plan your meals and make your shopping list, find the best time to do some prepping and batch cooking. Preparing your most commonly eaten foods in advance helps make the week go much smoother. Sometimes I don’t get back from classes till late (by which time I am ravenous and exhausted) and the last thing I want to do is cook. 

Things to do in advance: 



Wash fruit and lettuces 




Wash and chop vegetables  




Cook rice, beans, potatoes, quinoa, lentils (if you make a whole bunch you can freeze them) 


Make smoothies, salad dressings, soups, desserts, energy bars, trail mix, date paste 



Slice and freeze ripe bananas 


While most of these things taste best fresh, in the interest of time, it’s very helpful to do them beforehand. 

You don’t have to do everything on this list. I suggest washing and chopping lettuces and vegetables, cooking rice or quinoa, freezing bananas, and making a green smoothie at the beginning of each week. 

Happy meal planning :)


No comments:

Post a Comment