I Scream, You Scream

Ice cream. 

Since going dairy-free, I haven’t been able to find a good replacement for vanilla ice cream. Especially without using an ice cream maker. 

But, this recipe even got my dad’s stamp of approval. This coming from the man who usually tries a plant foods vegan dessert and says, “This would taste really good with some brown sugar on it.” 

I’ll take it! 

I’ve tried making it with just frozen bananas or almost all coconut milk, but I think this recipe strikes a good balance between the two. 

Vanilla Ice Cream: 
Yields: 4 servings 


1 can refrigerated coconut milk 
4 frozen bananas 
4 dates 
2 teaspoons vanilla 


Refrigerate the can of coconut milk and freeze the bananas (peel, slice, and place them in a plastic bag) overnight. 

Put the blending pitcher in the freezer for 30 min. before blending. 

Flip the can of coconut milk upside down and open it. Pour out the liquid on the top. You’ll be using the solid cream. 


Save the liquid for later. (It adds a really nice coconut flavor to smoothies!)


Pit the dates. 


Blend the coconut cream, bananas, dates, and vanilla on high (my blender has three speeds, and I used the highest: ice crush) till it’s smooth like ice cream. 



It looks like this if you eat it immediately. 


A little soft, but still delicious. 


It looks like this after freezing for about a day.  



Much more scoop-able.

Enjoy the ice cream by itself or add some fresh fruit like strawberries.


My friends joke about having a boyfriend named Ben and Jerry's. I guess mine is coconut milk and bananas...

No comments:

Post a Comment