Simply Salad

Salads are a crucial staple for eating a whole foods, plant-based diet. In Eat to Live, Dr. Fuhrman says to make the salad the main dish. They are a fantastic way to get in lots of health promoting nutrients! 

And I like salads. I really do. But, sometimes they get…boring…time consuming…complicated. 

As a college student, I don’t always have the time, space, and ingredients needed to make the complicated (albeit delicious) salads that my mom makes at home. I have found a basic formula to be the perfect solution. This way, I don’t have to spend too much time finding recipes and overly specific ingredients. I can throw together a salad with whatever I have on hand. It can be as simple or as complicated as I want or have time for. 

The Salad: 

Greens. Greens. Greens!
     The more the merrier. Experiment. Mix and match. Find your favorites. My favorite lettuce for salads is romaine, but there are so many options including green leaf, red leaf, spinach, kale, arugula, collards. 
Veggies. Veggies. Veggies! 
     Again, the more is better. Use whatever veggies you have on hand. Celery, cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli, radishes, cauliflower, carrots, jicama, corn, beets, peas, bell peppers (I love bell peppers!).
Fresh fruit, dried fruit 
     Any kind works: mango, apples, pears, raisins, oranges, pineapple. (This is my favorite part of the salad. They add a special sweetness.) 
Beans, lentils  
     Sometimes after eating a salad of just veggies, I get hungry again soon. These help keep me satisfied for hours. 
Nuts, seeds 
     These also help with satiety. 
Optional dressings 
     With so many other toppings, decide whether or not you feel the need for anything more. Sometimes just a squirt of lemon or orange juice does the trick. 

My organization system for a quick salad: 
Chop veggies in advance. Put them all in a container with a paper towel and keep them in the fridge to pull out whenever. 
Wash lettuces in advance. Put them in a ziploc bag with a paper towel and keep them in the fridge to pull out whenever. Or get pre-washed lettuces. 
This way I can just pull out the lettuce and veggies, chop up a fruit, and add some nuts.

A few recipe ideas, simple to more complex depending on how much time you have:

Simple: 
Romaine lettuce 
1 apple (diced)
1 oz. walnuts 

A bit more variety: 
Green leaf lettuce 
1/2 cucumber (diced)
1/2 bell pepper (diced)
1 stalk celery (diced) 
1/4 cup corn 
1/4 cup black beans 
1/4 cup kidney beans 

All out: 
Romaine lettuce 
Spinach  
1 mango (sliced)                                                
1/8 cup jicama (diced)                                           
1/8 cup cucumber (diced)                                             
1/4 cup bell pepper (diced)
1 stalk celery (diced) 
1/8 cup carrots (chopped)
1/8-1/4 cup raisins 
1/2-1 oz. pecans
squirt of orange juice 

For each of them, lay down the lettuce on your plate or bowl, then add all the toppings.

Here is a salad I made last minute with whatever I had on hand.

Salad it up and enjoy :)  

2 comments:

  1. I am taking a nutrition class right now, and we just learned about complete and incomplete proteins. People normally just think of meat as proteins. True, these are complete proteins, but they are also full of cholesterol and saturated fats, among other things. If they are able to think outside the box, they think of nuts or legumes as proteins. Also true, but on their own they are incomplete proteins. To get a complete protein we should eat 2 or more of the following: legumes, nuts/seeds, vegetables or grains. You probably already know all this, but I think your salads are perfect examples, because they use vegetables, nuts and legumes in many of them, which provide all the body's needs for amino acids! Awesome post Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! The first question I get when I say I don't eat animal products is "where do you get your protein?" It IS possible to get enough protein from plant foods! I had to complete a food log and analyze my diet for a nutrition course as well, and I spent the majority of my paper explaining how I was able to meet all my nutritional requirements from a whole foods, plant-based diet. It's nice to have another reminder of the science behind it!

      Delete